Experts in the field of jewelry feel that promise rings or couples rings are becoming more popular in recent years for a number of reasons:
1. Economy: Promise rings are a lot less expensive than engagement rings and gives substantial significance to the relationship without breaking the bank.
2. Precious Metal prices Are High: In recent months, gold and silver prices have hit record breaking highs. Engagement rings are known to be twice the weight of couples rings which leads to a higher cost.
3. Diamond Price hit a recent high: According to Diamond analysts- Diamond prices have shot up 30% from the beginning of 2011. Couples rings generally have lower graded stones or Cubic Zirconia which keeps the prices low.
4. War: Soldiers want to give their partner a promise that when they return from war, they'll be there coming back for them. This is the perfect way for partners to keep their soldier with them while they are away.
5. Gay Marriages: In 2011 some larger states such as NY have legalized Gay Marriages driving up the demand for "commitment jewelry". Couples Rings have been a huge success in the Gay community due to the constraint of saying their vows and now will be even larger due to the passing of the laws.
Who's wearing them: In a recent study it seems the age group for exchanging promise rings are anywhere from 15-25 and are normally given after a year of being in a monogamous relationship. Back in the 1960's- 1980's, there was a tradition of boyfriends giving girlfriends their "Pin" which was given in honor of their school achievements. The act of "Pinning" their girlfriends was a symbol to represent "I promise to be with your forever". Today when couples exchange couples rings, it represents the same idea.
Promise rings are not only for females. Males are now wearing them for the same reasons women wear them. To make a promise that one day they will get married. Men's promise rings are less popular than women's but have become more popular as of late for the same reasons women's did. The Men's rings resemble wedding bands and come in a variety of styles and metal choices. Some have diamonds and others are plain and simple. They also come in a variety of metals such as 18k Gold, 14K Gold, 10K Gold, Sterling Silver, Tungsten, and even Stainless Steel. Promise ring's for females come in metals 18k Gold, 14K Gold, 10K Gold, Sterling Silver, Tungsten, and even Stainless Steel as well. Generally the Solid Gold Promise Rings have genuine diamonds, but in recent years they've been set with lesser quality stones such as Cubic Zirconia. The visual effect is the same. Mostly all of the Sterling Silver Promise rings for women are set in Cubic Zirconia or even birthstones.
With recent technology, personalizing a promise ring has been a great success. Online retailers are offering these rings with messages engraved on the inside which really makes the gift more thoughtful, such as: "I Promise Me Forever", " Together Forever", " I Love You For Eternity", "This I Promise You". They're even offered with your own customized engravings where you are able to engrave your own message on the inside. We've seen things such as a simple "I Love You" or "Together Forever - 6-12-11". To get even more personalized we've seen a new line of Photo Promise Rings where the couples actual photo can be lasered in high resolution on the outside of the ring. For those who would prefer not to have a photo on the outside, they also offer a number of locket rings where the couples picture can be lasered on the inside.
If you're interested in Promise Rings visit PicturesOnGold.com. They are the only ones to personalize the inside of the rings and have prices starting at $44.95. Use promo code SHIP2011 for free shipping.